White Willow Bark
Primary Function: An active ingredient whose anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties lead to long-term anti-aging benefits.
Secondary Function: Willow bark extract possesses remarkable exfoliating and anti-microbial properties that make it a favorite for those with breakout prone skin.
History of Use: If it was 2000 B.C. and you had a headache, the willow bark was the first thing you reached for! 4000 years old clay tablets detail the way ancient Sumerians used the willow bark extract for pain relief. The ancient Greeks and Chinese civilizations along with the Native Americans also used willow bark to treat pain, fever, and inflammation thousands of years ago.
This ancient remedy was the subject of one of the first clinical studies in 18th century England that detailed the chemistry of its anti-inflammatory properties, and since then, it has been a star ingredient in both medicine (this is where your Aspirin comes from!) and cosmetics.
Ingredient Source: Our willow bark extract is sourced from the bark of the black willow by an INCI and REACH-Standard-approved supplier that is committed to the reduction of animal testing and improvement in the protection of the environment from the dangers of unregulated chemicals. This ingredient is GMO-free and is developed to be without any irritating fragrance additives.
- Anti-Aging Benefits: Anti-oxidant activity is a vital mechanism for maintaining our body and skin’s health as we get older. Clinical trials have shown that our willow bark extract can significantly reduces the cellular signs of oxidative damage in a dose-dependent manner that leads to long-term health maintenance and visible anti-aging benefits.
- Anti-inflammatory: Besides its antioxidant abilities, willow bark also possesses significant anti-inflammatory properties, and clinical trials have shown that our extract reduces pro-inflammatory markers and cellular stress that over time can reduce the signs of aging and photo-damage.
- Acne-Fighting Properties: Our willow bark extract contains salicylates, a natural derivative of salicylic acid that possesses all of the benefits of the synthesized acid without much of the irritation normally associated with it. The remarkable anti-microbial and exfoliating properties of salicylates make our willow bark extract an ideal ingredient for those looking to increase their cellular turnover, decrease pore congestion, and combat frequent breakouts.
Full Ingredient List: Salix Alba Bark Extract, Water, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Musa Sapientum Leaf/Trunk Extract, Sorbitan Olivate
Ingredient Sources: Willow, Water, Sunflower, Olive, Banana & Olive
Size: 1 mL
- Di Caprio, R., Monfrecola, G., Balato, A., Balato, N., Gasparri, F., Micillo, R., & Lembo, S. (2019). The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of 1,2-decanediol and willow bark extract in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated keratinocytes. Giornale italiano di dermatologia e venereologia : organo ufficiale, Societa italiana di dermatologia e sifilografia, 154(6), 624–631. https://doi.org/10.23736/S0392-0488.17.05592-4
- Ishikado, A., Sono, Y., Matsumoto, M., Robida-Stubbs, S., Okuno, A., Goto, M., King, G. L., Keith Blackwell, T., & Makino, T. (2013). Willow bark extract increases antioxidant enzymes and reduces oxidative stress through activation of Nrf2 in vascular endothelial cells and Caenorhabditis elegans. Free radical biology & medicine, 65, 1506–1515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2012.12.006