Primary Function: An intensely hydrating ingredient that protects the skin barrier function.
Secondary Function: This multi-tasking ingredient also provides antioxidant benefits and pollution protection for skin.
History of Use: In a famous story from One thousand and one nights, Sinbad the sailor is stranded far from home with no money to pay for voyage back to Baghdad. He works his way around this predicament by collecting a large number of coconuts and using their substantial value to easily pay for his trip back home. What this story shows us (besides Sinbad’s lack of skills in planning ahead his excursions) is the high value that ancient societies placed on coconut for its many uses and benefits.
Coconut oil has an ancient history of being used for its hydrating and protective properties, especially in South Asia and tropical and coastal regions. There are records of it being mentioned as a remedy for illnesses of body, mind, and spirit as early as 1500 BC in Sanskrit-based Ayurvedic medicine. It was used in south Asia as a moisturizer for dry skin and to heal burns, while South American healers used it to treat skin wounds. Long-used for its moisturizing and protective abilities, it was only natural that coconut oil extract would become popular in cosmetics as well.
Ingredient Source: Our coconut oil extract is sourced from the island of Hawaii by an INCI and REACH-Standard-approved supplier that is committed to the reduction of animal testing and improvement in the protection of the environment from the dangers of unregulated chemicals. This ingredient is GMO-free and is developed to be without any irritating fragrance additives and pesticides.
- Hydrating and Protective Properties: Coconut oil and its extracts have long been a beloved ingredient in the cosmetic world for providing excellent hydration and moisture-retention abilities. Studies have shown that the loss of water across the skin membrane, commonly known as trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL), is significantly lowered when our coconut extract is being used. Our coconut extract is also rich in medium-length triglycerides that can easily and efficiently be converted to the fatty acids found in the skin’s moisture barrier. This characteristic means that our coconut extract provides powerful protection to the moisture barrier, making it an excellent ingredient for those with dry skin and barrier damage.
- Anti-oxidant properties: Not only is our coconut oil extract capable of hydrating and protecting the skin barrier, it also provides excellent anti-oxidant support. Reducing oxidative stress is one of our bodies’ primary mechanisms for maintaining health as the years pass. Our studies have shown that this ingredient possesses intense antioxidant abilities comparable to those of Vitamin E.
- Anti-Pollution Protection: Studies have demonstrated that coconut oil extracts, such as outs, may provide immediate protection from carbon air pollutions, making it an extremely beneficial ingredient for daytime wear.
- Varma, S. R., Sivaprakasam, T. O., Arumugam, I., Dilip, N., Raghuraman, M., Pavan, K. B., Rafiq, M., & Paramesh, R. (2018). In vitroanti-inflammatory and skin protective properties of Virgin coconut oil. Journal of traditional and complementary medicine, 9(1), 5–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcme.2017.06.012
- Kim, S., Jang, J. E., Kim, J., Lee, Y. I., Lee, D. W., Song, S. Y., & Lee, J. H. (2017). Enhanced barrier functions and anti-inflammatory effect of cultured coconut extract on human skin. Food and chemical toxicology : an international journal published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association, 106(Pt A), 367–375. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2017.05.060
- Deen, A., Visvanathan, R., Wickramarachchi, D., Marikkar, N., Nammi, S., Jayawardana, B. C., & Liyanage, R. (2021). Chemical composition and health benefits of coconut oil: an overview. Journal of the science of food and agriculture, 101(6), 2182–2193. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.10870