Primary Function: With strong anti-aging benefits focused on “expression lines”, our okra extract is the topical answer to Botox.
Secondary Function: Okra extract’s potent anti-oxidant benefits complement its inhibition of visible mechanical aging to provide a thorough anti-aging ingredient.
History of Use: We might initially remember okra as the weird looking vegetable that our mothers used to make us eat, but this ancient vegetable crop is skincare magic. The okra tree originates in Ethiopia and is mainly cultivated in Africa and South Asia, and its seeds have long been used both as a food source and a medicinal tool. Okra’s benefits for healthy skin have long been noted, with both Cleopatra of Egypt and Yang Guifei of China being among its most famous admirers.
Ingredient Source: Our okra extract is sourced from India by an ECOCERT-Standard-approved supplier that is committed to the responsible use of natural resources and an environmentally-friendly production process. This ingredient is vegan, GMO-free and was developed without the use of any animal testing or products.
- Anti-wrinkle: Winkle formation occurs through a combination of biological (think oxidative damage) and mechanical processes, which involve the use of facial muscles over time. For example, the popularity of Botox as an anti-aging tool arises from the fact that it can inhibit the contraction of facial muscles. Our okra extract can be thought of as a topical and non-invasive alternative to Botox. The naturally-occurring proteins of okra can inhibit some muscle contraction, as evidenced by research which demonstrated that our extract’s inhibitory effects were on par with the benchmark muscle relaxant named Carisoprodol.
- Antioxidant: Besides its ability to significantly reduce the mechanical side of aging, our okra extract also has beneficiary effects on the biological side of things too. Okra contains large amounts of Vitamin C, a widely-popular antioxidant that has long been used for its effectiveness. Research has shown that our okra extract possesses potent antioxidant capabilities to help the body and skin fight oxidative damage that accumulates over time.
With the ability to inhibit wrinkle-formation via both biological and mechanical pathways, our okra extract makes for a complete anti-aging ingredient.
- Atawodi, S. E., Atawodi, J. C., Idakwo, G. A., Pfundstein, B., Haubner, R., Wurtele, G., Spiegelhalder, B., Bartsch, H., & Owen, R. W. (2009). Polyphenol composition and antioxidant potential of Hibiscus esculentus L. fruit cultivated in Nigeria. Journal of medicinal food, 12(6), 1316–1320. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2008.0211
- Ebrahimzadeh, M. A., Nabavi, S. F., Nabavi, S. M., & Eslami, B. (2010). Antihypoxic and antioxidant activity of Hibiscus esculentus seeds. Grasas Y Aceites, 61(1), 30–36. https://doi.org/10.3989/gya.053809
- Fekadu Gemede, Habtamu. (2014). Nutritional Quality and Health Benefits of Okra (Abelmoschus Esculentus): A Review. Global Journal of Medical Research: K Interdisciplinary. 14.
- Martellucci, J., Rossi, G., Corsale, I., Carrieri, P., D'Elia, M., & Giani, I. (2017). Myoxinol ointment for the treatment of acute fissure. Updates in surgery, 69(4), 499–503. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13304-017-0450-z