INCI: Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract
Primary Function: A plant-derived stem cell ingredient that fights the signs of aging through its potent anti-oxidant abilities, that in studies have shown the ability to repair skin damage.
Secondary Function: Acai Berry extract also possesses potent anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin and provide additional anti-aging benefits.
History of Use: While Acai berries have become a popular superfood for Europeans and Americans fairy recently, their extensive nutritional benefits have been used for thousands of years by the civilizations of the Amazonian rainforest. Amazonian tribes, such as the Shuar, used the Acai berry for medicinal purposes due to its large reservoir of antioxidants. It was used to remove snake venom, combat infection and protect the immune system among different uses. Our extract incorporates modern technology to sustainably make use of an ancient ingredient that has been used for millennia.
Ingredient Source: The use of plant-derived compounds normally coincides with the high probability of the destruction of the natural, whole plant. Therefore, it is greatly important to use alternative methods that allow us to use these plant extracts without the large-scale destruction of plants. The plants used for the isolation of our acai berry extract are grown by using cell cultures, which allow us to take a sustainable approach that protects biodiversity and does not need the harvesting and use of wild plants and crops.
Our acai berry extract suppliers are both INCI and REACH-Standard-approved, and are committed to the reduction of animal testing and improvement in the protection of the environment from the dangers of unregulated chemicals. This ingredient is Vegan, GMO-free and is developed to be without any irritating fragrance additives and pesticides.
- Anti-Oxidant Properties: Acai Berry extracts are rich in a chemical named Ferulic Acid that has intense anti-oxidant benefits that work excellently together with other antioxidants such as Vitamins C and E. Additionally, Ferulic Acid is also capable of reacting with and neutralizing the detrimental oxygen species compounds. Oxidation and Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) are responsible for much of the cell damage that brings about the common signs of aging, thus Ferulic Acid’s anti-oxidant and ROS-scavenging abilities are powerful anti-aging mechanisms.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: An inflammatory environment leads to the increased activity of proteins that are responsible for the breaking down of the collagen in the skin. This loss of collagen can lead to wrinkles, fine lines, and general loss of skin elasticity—all the common signs of aging. This is why our Acai Berry extract’s anti-inflammatory properties, besides soothing, are also providing additional anti-aging benefits.
For best results see our Personalized Skincare Quiz to determine the optimal combination of of skincare actives for your needs. Our active ingredients are highly concentrated and need to be diluted prior to use. If not using our system stability cannot be guaranteed.
Full Ingredient List: Water, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Musa Sapientum Leaf/Trunk Extract, Sorbitan Olivate
Ingredient Sources: Water, Acai, Sunflower, Olive, Banana, Olive
- Fragoso, M. F., Prado, M. G., Barbosa, L., Rocha, N. S., & Barbisan, L. F. (2012). Inhibition of mouse urinary bladder carcinogenesis by açai fruit (Euterpe oleraceae Martius) intake. Plant foods for human nutrition (Dordrecht, Netherlands), 67(3), 235–241. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-012-0308-y
- Kang, M. H., Choi, S., & Kim, B. H. (2017). Skin Wound Healing Effects and Action Mechanism of Acai Berry Water Extracts. Toxicological research, 33(2), 149–156. https://doi.org/10.5487/TR.2017.33.2.149
- Anti-oxidant capacities of flavonoid compounds isolated from acai pulp (Euterpe oleracea Mart.)—ScienceDirect. (n.d.). Retrieved June 25, 2021, from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0308814610002803