For best results see our Personalized Skincare Quiz to determine the optimal combination of of skincare actives for your needs. Our active ingredients are highly concentrated and need to be diluted prior to use. If not using our system stability cannot be guaranteed.
INCI: Salvia Hispanica Seed Extract
Primary Function: Helps control sebum production and inhibit excess oil on skin and hair, making it an ideal ingredient for those battling with excess skin oiliness and breakout prone skin.
Secondary Function: Chia seed naturally possesses moisture-retention properties, so it provides additional conditioning benefits to the skin and acts as a film former to be sure that the skin does not dry out.
History of Use: An ancient ingredient native to the Mesoamericas, Chia seeds were a beloved ingredient with many benefits and uses among the Aztec and Mayan cultures. Chia seeds were among the main crops of both societies, and were used for food, folk medicine, and even religious rituals. The Aztecs also used the oil from chia seed in cosmetics in order to heal and moisturize dry skin.
Ingredient Source: Our Chia seed extract is sourced from an INCI and REACH-standard-approved supplier that is committed to the reduction of animal testing and improvement in the protection of the environment from the dangers of unregulated chemicals. This ingredient is GMO-free and is developed to be without any irritating fragrance additives and Sulphonation.
- Sebum Control: For those who battle with acne, excess sebum production is a nemesis. Sebum is produced naturally by skin as a protective film; however, when the production levels are substantially high and out of control, they may lead to clogged pores that lead to breakouts. In studies, our chia seed extract has been shown to bind to the excess sebum on the skin surface and disrupt its surface tension, while its oil-absorbance properties may help in drastically reducing the oily appearance of the skin. Clinical research has shown that the incorporation of our chia seed extract within a mass market foundation, significantly decreased the sebum production of the skin.
- Moisturizing Benefits: Sometimes, excess sebum on the skin can be frustrating so that in the pursuit of reducing the sebum levels, people may overly strip the skin of its essential oils and dry their skin out, which only leads to more oil/sebum production, leading to more breakouts. Chia seed naturally has moisture-retention benefits, which help in protecting the moisture barrier of the skin and ensures that the sebum reduction is not accompanied with dry skin.
- Antioxidant Abilities: One of the leading causes of wrinkles and other common signs of aging, is the presence of oxidative damage and the detrimental Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS), thus ingredients with antioxidant benefits help in preserving the long-term health of the skin by fighting oxidative damage and ROS presence. Clinical research has shown that our Chia seed extract posses potent and dose-dependent antioxidant abilities that provide anti-aging benefits to the skin in addition to its acne-fighting and moisturizing properties.
Full Ingredient List: Water, Coconut Acid, Salvia Hispanica Seed Extract, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Musa Sapentum Leaf/Trunk Extract, Sorbitan Olivate
Ingredient Sources: Water, Coconut, Chia, Sunflower, Olive, Banana, Olive
- Jeong, S. K., Park, H. J., Park, B. D., & Kim, I. H. (2010). Effectiveness of Topical Chia Seed Oil on Pruritus of End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Patients and Healthy Volunteers. Annals of dermatology, 22(2), 143–148. https://doi.org/10.5021/ad.2010.22.2.143
- Knez Hrnčič, M., Ivanovski, M., Cör, D., & Knez, Ž. (2019). Chia Seeds (Salvia hispanica L.): An Overview-Phytochemical Profile, Isolation Methods, and Application. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), 25(1), 11. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25010011