INCI: Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Reduce appearance of Hyperpigmentation
SECONDARY FUNCTION: This botanical extract also has secondary benefits such as its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and moisturizing abilities.
HISTORY OF USE: Licorice root extract has been used for centuries for its various health benefits, particularly its skin benefits. This extract is derived from the root of the Glycyrrhiza glabra plant, which is native to the Mediterranean region, central Asia, and parts of western Asia.
Licorice root extract has a long history of use in traditional medicine, particularly in ancient Greece, China, and Egypt. It was used to treat a wide range of ailments, including digestive problems, respiratory issues, and skin conditions. In traditional Chinese medicine, licorice root extract was often combined with other herbs to make medicinal teas, tonics, and salves
SCIENCE: Licorice is a perennial herbaceous plant, meaning it lives for several years, that primarily grows in the regions of Southeast Asia and the Mediterranean. The scientific name, "glycyrrhiza glabra", means "sweet root" due to its intense sweetness, forty times that of sugar
Some skin benefits of Licorice Root Extract:
- Brightens Skin Tone: Licorice root extract contains glabridin, an active ingredient known for its skin-lightening and brightening effects (1). It works by inhibiting the production of melanin, the pigment that gives skin its color, thereby reducing the appearance of age spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Soothes Inflammation: Licorice root extract has anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of glycyrrhizic acid (2). This makes it effective in reducing redness, swelling, and other symptoms associated with skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.
- Moisturizes Skin: The extract contains saponins, which are known for their moisturizing properties (3). Saponins help to retain moisture in the skin, preventing dryness and flakiness.
Ingredient Source: Our Licorice Root extract suppliers are both INCI and REACH-Standard-approved, and are committed to the reduction of animal testing and improvement in the protection of the environment from the dangers of unregulated chemicals. This ingredient is Vegan, GMO-free and is developed to be without any irritating fragrance additives and pesticides.
In conclusion, licorice root extract is a natural ingredient that has numerous skin benefits, including skin-lightening and brightening (1), soothing inflammation (2), and moisturizing the skin (3). With a long history of use in traditional medicine, it is an effective and safe ingredient to include in your skincare routine
For best results see our Personalized Skincare Quiz to determine the optimal combination of of skincare actives for your needs. Our active ingredients are highly concentrated and need to be diluted prior to use. If not using our system stability cannot be guaranteed.
Full Ingredient List: Water, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Musa Sapientum Leaf/Trunk Extract, Sorbitan Olivate
Ingredient Sources: Water, Licorice, Sunflower, Olive, Banana & Olive
- Wang, Y., & Peng, Y. (2010). Licorice and skin lightening. Journal of cosmetic dermatology, 9(2), 96-102.
- Mishra, A., Singh, S., & Mishra, P. (2015). Licorice: A natural cure for skin problems. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 7(1), 1-4.
- Sharquie, KE, Al-Karadaghi, S., Al-Janabi, MN. (1997). Topical glycyrrhiza glabra in treatment of genital lichen planus. Br J Dermatol. 1997 Mar;136(3):478-80.