INCI: Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Anti-Hyperpigmentation
SECONDARY FUNCTION: Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and illuminates complexion while making skin soft and velvety.
HISTORY OF USE: Licorice is a perennial herbaceous plant, meaning it lives for several years, and primarily grows in the regions of Southeast Asia and the Mediterranean. Since ancient times, this plant has been widely used in Chinese medicine to treat several ailments such as coughs, liver disorders and food poisoning. Its use, however, seems to be even more ancient; there are legends that narrate the presence of pieces of licorice root near the tomb of Tutankhamen in Ancient Egypt. Its scientific name "glycyrrhiza glabra" means "sweet root", perhaps due to its being forty times as sweet as sugar. Furthermore, in the ancient Indian text of the Kama Sutra it is named for its aphrodisiac powers and was also used by the great seducer Giacomo Casanova.
SCIENCE: Licorice root boasts numerous active ingredients. First the glycyrrizin, concentrated in the bark and responsible for its sweet taste; the other active ingredients are flavonoids, glucose, starches, coumarins, mannite and aphistosterols.
BENEFITS of Licorice root FOR THE SKIN:
- Hyperpigmentation: Licorice root contain Glabridin, which combats discoloration and hyperpigmentation by inhibiting melanin production. Furthermore, thanks to the active glabrina, has a powerful depigmenting effect and helps heal skin blemishes by inhibiting the production of melanin and lightening hyperpigmented areas.
- Anti-bacterial: Thanks to its antimicrobial properties, licorice root can help in cases of eczema by fighting the bacteria that infect the skin.
- Anti-inflammatory: The presence of glycyrrizin with its anti-inflammatory properties makes it an interesting ingredient for those suffering from acne
- Soothing: Emollient and soothing properties, useful to counteract the itching due to dry and dehydrated skin and help in the repair processes of the epidermis thanks to licochalone-A.
- Antioxidant and useful in counteracting skin aging, thanks to the flavonoids that fight free radicals.
An ancient root and extremely beneficial for the health of the body and skin.
Full Ingredient List: Water, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Musa Sapientum Leaf/Trunk Extract, Sorbitan Olivate
Ingredient Sources: Water, Licorice, Sunflower, Olive, Banana & Olive