For best results see our Personalized Skincare Quiz to determine the optimal combination of of skincare actives for your needs. Our active ingredients are highly concentrated and need to be diluted prior to use. If not using our system stability cannot be guaranteed.
INCI: Colloidal Oatmeal
Primary Function: A moisturizing and soothing active ingredient that works beautifully for individuals with sensitive skin.
Secondary Function: Oatmeal extract’s UV-absorbing properties make it a powerful protective agent against photo-aging.
History of Use: While beauty recipes rarely come in poetic format, we all know that the Ancient Romans had a flair for the dramatics. In Medicamina Facei Femineae, Ovid spends nearly 100 lines of poetry defending the use of cosmetics by women and providing five separate beauty recipes, with oatmeal being a central ingredient that he championed.
One of the oldest ingredients in the world, oatmeal had been used in cosmetics since 2,000 BC in Ancient Egypt and Arabia to treat dry and irritated skin conditions. By the 19th Century, using oats in baths had become a popular cosmetic trend; however, it was in 1945 when colloidal oatmeal was produced, and it has been a beloved ingredient in the cosmetic industry since.
Ingredient Source: Our oat extract is sourced by an INCI and REACH-Standard-approved supplier that is committed to the reduction of animal testing and improvement in the protection of the environment from the dangers of unregulated chemicals. This ingredient is GMO-free and is developed to be without any irritating additives and preservatives.
- Moisturizing Benefits: The most basic step towards having a smooth skin with a healthy glow is to be sure that your skin is moisturized and properly hydrated. Colloidal oats are an age-old solution to dehydrated and sensitive skin. The large amount of starch and beta glucans in their chemical makeup, give oats their signature water-containing benefits. Research has shown that our oat extract significantly reduced water loss and, by extension, can reduce skin dryness and flakiness.
- Anti-aging Benefits: We all know that environmental aggressors, such as UV rays, are among the leading causes of premature aging. Our oat extract’s flavonoid compounds have been shown to be strong UV absorbers. Coupled with its antioxidant properties, our oat extract can impart potent protective benefits against photo-aging.
Full Ingredient List: Colloidal Oatmeal, Water, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Musa Sapientum (Banana) Leaf/Trunk Extract, Sorbitan Olivate
Ingredient Sources: Colloidal Oatmeal, Water, Sunflower, Olive, Banana & Olive
Size: 1 mL
- Pazyar, N., Yaghoobi, R., Kazerouni, A., & Feily, A. (2012). Oatmeal in dermatology: a brief review. Indian journal of dermatology, venereology and leprology, 78(2), 142–145. https://doi.org/10.4103/0378-6323.93629
- Ilnytska, O., Kaur, S., Chon, S., Reynertson, K. A., Nebus, J., Garay, M., Mahmood, K., & Southall, M. D. (2016). Colloidal Oatmeal (Avena Sativa)Improves Skin Barrier Through Multi-Therapy Activity. Journal of drugs in dermatology : JDD, 15(6), 684–690.
- Reynertson, K. A., Garay, M., Nebus, J., Chon, S., Kaur, S., Mahmood, K., Kizoulis, M., & Southall, M. D. (2015). Anti-inflammatory activities of colloidal oatmeal (Avena sativa) contribute to the effectiveness of oats in treatment of itch associated with dry, irritated skin. Journal of drugs in dermatology : JDD, 14(1), 43–48.